A year ago today something magical happened in our lives. Two tiny, amazing little embryos were transferred into me. Little did we know that 9 months later, one of those embryos would turn into a tiny, amazing little boy we named Max.

embryos

IVF is without a shadow of a doubt the hardest thing that we went through. The daily injections, the endless appointments and more internal examinations than I care to remember. Not to mention the increase in hormones raging through my body that I battled to keep under control on a daily basis. No one said it would be easy, but I guess I wasn’t prepared for just how hard it would be.

img_7384

The need for couples to have IVF is more common than I realised. I used to spend hours researching the in’s and out’s of IVF and found some interesting facts along the way:

  • One in Seven couples have fertility issues
  • Female infertility accounts for 40% of IVF cases
  • Male infertility accounts for 30% of IVF cases
  • The remaining 30% is caused by unexplained infertility
  • IVF births account for 1% of births in the UK
  • To date there have been over 3 million IVF births worldwide
  • The first IVF baby was born in 1978 – then known as a ‘test tube baby’
  • At present about 25% of IVF is funded by the NHS, with the remaining 75% being funded privately
  • Studies show that acupuncture can increase your IVF success rate. It increases blood flow which can help with implantation
  • You are more likely to have identical twins from a multiple embryo transfer
  • Studies show that IVF success rates were higher when women had between 7 – 9 hours sleep per night – so make sure you get plenty of shut eye ladies

We’ve got 3 remaining embryo’s frozen for any future rounds we wish to try. I’ll be honest, the thought of going through IVF again is very daunting, but I’d love to give Max a brother or sister if possible so it’s something we’ll look into next year. But if things don’t work out then we’ll forever be grateful that we got lucky with Max.

If you are currently going through IVF, or are considering it, then I wish you all the luck in the world. Stay strong, do your research, cry when you need to cry and try to smile along the way. It’s a crazy roller coaster but if you get your happy ever after at the end then it’s worth the ride!